Wednesday, April 29, 2009

DIRECTIONS for CATERING 1798

DIRECTIONS for CATERING, or procuring the best VIANDS, FISH, etc.

  • BEEF. The large stall fed ox beef is the best, it has a coarse open grain, and oily smoothness; dent it with your finger and it will immediately rise again; if old,, it will be rough and spungy, and the dent remain.

  • COW Beef is less boned and generally more tender and juicy than the ox, in America, which is used to labor.

  • Of almost every species of Animals, Birds and Fishes, the female is the tenderest, the richest flavour's, and among poultry the soonest flattened.

  • MUTTON, grass-fed is good two or three years old.
  • LAMB, if under six months is rich, and no danger of imperfection; it may be known by its size, in distinguishing either.

  • VEAL, is the soon lost - great care therefore is necessary in purchasing. Veal bro't to market in panniers, or in carriages, is to be preferred to that brought in bags, and bouncing on a sweaty horse.
  • PORK, is known by its size, and weather properly fattened by its appearance.

To make the best Bacon


  • To each ham put one ounce saltpeter, one pint bay salt, one pint molasses, shake together 6 or 8 weeks, or when a large quantity is together, salt them with liquor everyday; when taken out to dry, smoke three weeks with cobs or malt fumes. To every ham may be added a cheek, if you stoy away a barrel and not alter the composition, some add a shoulder. For transportation or exportation, double the period of smoking.

3 comments:

  1. This is very interesting...are you going to be giving your perspective or just writing from the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I have just started this blog and learning something new each day. Yes, I will be commenting on the vintage cookbooks and recipes.
    I will be adding my own recipes that are more "modern"!!, as well as photographs. Please check back.
    God Bless You,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon: I'm so glad you commented on my blog. It's wonderful to find someone else who has an interest in vintage and even antique cookery. I hope you will join my meme, Vintage Recipe Thursday, with any of your vintage recipes, including your mother-in-law's clipped and handwritten recipes, even those from the 1800's or earlier. I find these to all be such amazing treasures which need to be preserved. I have a reproduction copy of American Cookery 1796 (1st edition) by Amelia Simmons too. I posted about it on 4/29/08 and also linked to a review I wrote of it for another blog. I'm putting you in my blogroll. I hope you will follow me too, and you are warmly invited to participate in Vintage Recipe Thursday. :-) BTW, love that kitchen photo in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete