Monday, March 30, 2009

The American Woman's Home - Past and Present

It is my goal in this blog to inform readers of the hardships of the American woman begining in 1798. I also hope that the readers will have some input of their own. That being said I want to tell you how my interest in the our ancestors came about.

I bought the following book at a garage sale. They had three tables set up filled with books of all subjects. The title of the of the book caught my eye, I paid my 25 cents and went home. What a surprize I had when I opened the book that was in near mint condition!

The American Woman's Home
or
Domestic Science
by

Catherine E. Beecher
and
Harriet Beecher Stowe
1869
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The book fasinated me so much that I could hardly put it down, it seemed that maybe at one time or another I may have lived in that era. Never the less my almost mint condition book is now well used after having it over twenty six years. I pick it up at times and just read a chapter or two. The chapter on the "Earth Closet" was my favorite or at least one of my favorites.
"Principles of Domestic Science"
or
A Guide to the Formation and Maintenance of Economical,
Healthful, Beautiful and Christian Homes

To me that seems like five different professions in this era, with the economy situation we are in, I think we need to get back to the "old ways" of living. What ever happened to the "good ole days"? I am going to begin in 1798 and on through the years after.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1798
American Cookery
Or The
Art Of Dressing
Viands, Fish, Poultry and Vegetables
And The
Best Modes of Making
Pastes, Puffs, Pies, Tarts,Puddings,
Custards and Preserves
And All Kinds of
C A K E S
From The Imperial
Plumb to Plain Cake
Adapted to this Country
And All Grades Of Life
By Amelia Simmons
An American Orphan
Published According To The Act Of Congress
Hartford

Printed for Simeon Butler

Northhampton

1798

I had the opportunity to see some pages from "The First American Cook Book", what pages I viewed were amazing. I will list some of the "unusual" items as well as what "usual" items that were available for the Homemaker. I have used the same spelling as in the book.


Beef, Ox, Cow, Mutton or Lamb, Salmon, Shad
Saltwater Fish: Hannah Hill, Black Fish, Lobster, Oyster, Flounder, Bass, Cod, Haddock and Eel.

Poultry: Pea Hen, Turkey, Dunghill Fowls, Chickens, Capons, Geese, Ducks that similar to geese, Wild Ducks, Wood Cocks, Snipes, Partridges, Pigeons, Hares, Leveritand Rabbits.

Cheese, Eggs, Potatoes, Onions, Beets, Parsnips, Carrots, Garlick, Asparagus, Parsely, Raddish, Artichokes, Horse Raddish, Cucumbers, Melons, Musk Melons, Lettuce, Cabbage and Colliflower.

Beans: Clabboard Bean, Windsor Bean, Crambury Bean, Frost Bean, Six Weeks Bean, Small White Bean and Calivanse

Peas: The Crown Imperial, The Rondehaval, Early Carlton, Marrow, Fats, Sugar Pea and Spanish Manratto.

Herbs: Thyme, Sweet Marjoram, Sage, Parsley, Penny Royal and Sweet Thyme

Fruits: Pears, Winterpear, Harvest and Summer Pear, Apples, Currants, Black Currants, Grapes, Apples, Plumbs, Lemon, Apricots, Orange, Strawberries, Rasberries and Gooseberries.

2 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by the story of homemaking down through the years, and also have a copy of the Beecher/Stowe book. It's great, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    Thank you so much for your interest in my blog, I have not updated in a while, my husband had been not doing very well. I have hundeds of cookbooks and get one out every once in a while, just to read them. Do you have the original book of Beecher/Stowe? I will tell you a little story and will put it in the blog later.I had wanted "The White House Cookbook" for years, but really couldn't afford it. My husband and I went to an auction and bought about six boxes of books at $2.00 for each box. Would you believe when we got home and opened the boxes..........there was "The Whitehouse Cookbook". That was the only cookbook.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete